Daniel P. Martz focuses his practice on the defense of complex claims in areas of civil litigation including professional liability, medical malpractice, general negligence, insurance (including bad faith), and commercial litigation. Mr. Martz has extensive trial experience in those areas and has tried over 35 cases to verdict as lead counsel in state and federal courts, and participated in many more as co-counsel. He has also handled licensing and credentialing actions for healthcare professionals before various state licensing boards and private insurers, and served as local counsel in class-action cases of various types filed in the Court of Common Pleas for Philadelphia County and U.S. District Courts in Philadelphia and other jurisdictions.
Further, in the courtroom Mr. Martz enlists the support of top scientific and medical experts, and employs the latest digital technology for the courtroom presentation of complex demonstrative evidence. Mr. Martz also has extensive experience in the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution to resolve matters via arbitration and mediation proceedings. He is also frequently appointed to serve as an arbitrator in compulsory arbitration matters for the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
Mr. Martz joined the firm in 2009 as a shareholder, after spending 12 years at a large Philadelphia-based defense firm, and 7 years practicing in various firms in Southern California.
Professional and Community Organizations:
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- 2013 Co-chair of the Medical-Legal Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association, State Civil Litigation Section
- Court appointed arbitrator for the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- Member of the Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and Montgomery County bar associations.
- Member of the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel and Pennsylvania Defense Institute.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019)
Presentations and Lectures:
- Medical Documentation: War Stories and lessons learned from the legal world. Presentation to the Philadelphia County Medical Society’s 12/4/13 meeting: Daniel P. Martz, Esq. and Marie C. Plyter, R.N., Esq.
- The Legal Implications of Thrombolytic Therapy for Acute Stroke. Presentation at The International Congress of Interventional Neurology 10/11/13 annual meeting: Daniel P. Martz, Esq. and Marie C. Plyter, R.N., Esq.
Presentation on The Legal Implications of Thrombolytic Therapy and Endovascular Interventions; 9th Annual Abington- Jefferson Health Pursuit of Neurovascular Excellence Conference. 10/17/17